- In many cases you can see reporting on screen by simply using the application sections. An example of this is the Programs Section. Clicking on this section gives you current enrollment details for the ongoing programs at your institution.
- In general, there are 3 types of reporting in ampEducator:
- Built-in Reports. Some reports are built-in to the system. Examples of these include student lists (with grades option), attendance reports & hour reports.
- Pre-defined Reports. These are reports that come with ampEducator and are available for all institutions to use. Even though they are predefined, these reports let you define the columns and add filters to get a unique report specific to your needs.
- Custom Reports. Advanced users are able to create custom reports using open-source software.
- Reports are exported in the format you choose from either EXCEL, CSV or PDF. You may also schedule reports to be emailed to users at any time. If you require a custom report to be made and are having trouble creating it on your own - please use the feature request link at the top right hand corner of the screen.
How do I use the built-in student list (with grades option) report?
- There is a built-in student list (with grades option) report function. This can be accessed by going to Courses>Selecting a Course>Student List, Grades & Attendance>Generate Student List. Note the second tab 'Grades' which allows you to select which 'Grades' you would like to display on the report.
How do I use the built-in attendance reports?
- There is a built-in attendance report function. This can be accessed by going to Courses>Selecting a Course>Student List, Grades & Attendance>Generate Attendance Report. You can also add custom reports to the reporting section to alert you with an email if students are missing certain % of attendance. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to add custom attendance alerts.
How do I use the built-in hour reports?
- There is a built-in hour report function. This can be accessed by going to Students>Selecting a Student>Hours>Generate Hour Report. Hours are tracked by adding them manually under 'Add Hours' or by using the Hour Clock feature with Student ID's and a bar-code reader.
How do I specialize the built-in reports and/or add new reports?
- Select Dashboard>Reports>Add New Report Type. A number of reports are available in the ampEducator application for you to choose and run. To add a new report type select the category and report from below. Once added you edit the report and select different fields and rename them. You can also add inputs to set up parameters to filter you results. Examine the columns and fields of the report you wish to add and see if it contains the fields you need to report on. If you require a report which isn't available please contact our support department at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
How do I add custom reports?
Basic reports can be made by using our Reports wizard, by going to Reports > Add New Report > I would like to... Create a New Report.
- Select the subject to report on (e.g. Students, Prospects, Staff, etc.)
- Enter a title (name) for your new report
- Add columns that you wish to appear in the report (e.g. student ID, student name, student email, etc.)
- Scroll to the bottom to proceed with "Add Report"
- Now your report should appear in your Reports list, available for you to generate.
If you're interested in making a report not available through the above options, please contact email@example.com and let us know what you need.
Advanced Users. In order to create custom reports knowledge of SQL is required. ampEducator uses the JasperReports  reporting engine to generate reports. This is an open source engine which uses an XML file to describe the report. In order to generate a custom report:
- Download the iReport application from here: - iReport is a fully featured open-source report designer which generates the XML files required by JasperReports.
- Setup a connection using the settings you create under Dashboard->Institution->Preferences->DB Read Access. This will give you direct 'Read-Only' access to a database which you can use to create and test your queries and reports. Make a note of the IP, database name, user name and password. To get your IP - go to www.whatismyip.com and copy and paste your IP address and anyone else who should be allowed to access the database. This is for security reasons.
- In iReport create a new report and link to the DB Read Access by creating a new JDBC datasource and using the information from the previous step. At this point you should have access to tables and fields from within the sample database.
- Use iReport to create your report. There are a lot of good tutorials and examples here .
- When you are satisfied with the report create a custom report in ampEducator under Reports->Add Custom Report. You will be asked for the report name and the JRXML file generated by iReport. ampEducator will automatically create any parameters (inputs) you defined in your report.
- Once uploaded you can treat the report like any other report in ampEducator.
Please note that not all the features of JasperReports / iReports have been implemented. The following is a short list of limitations.
- Sub-reports are not supported.
- Images embedded in reports are not supported.
- Only parameters of types 'java.lang.String' and 'java.lang.Date' are supported. All other parameters will be ignored.
How do I schedule reports?
- You can run the Report manually or schedule it to be run in regular intervals automatically and emailed to any users you like in Excel, CSV and or PDF formats. This is done in the Dashboard>Reports>Available Reports. Choose a Report Category and then select the Edit Icon from the right hand side of the Report list This will give you access to the Schedule Tab. Click on this tab and you will be presented with options to Schedule times when the Report can be automatically generated.